TROY: 433 River St, Troy NY 12180 Office
Senior Fire Protection Engineer
Who We Are:
Great people. Great places. Great projects. kW Mission Critical Engineering, a WSP company, is a high-performance, fast-paced consulting engineering firm designing data centers and mission critical environments across the globe. We hire smart, responsive, team players to work in collaborative and mentoring office settings. Our mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, controls, telecommunications, and security building system designs keep many of the world’s top Fortune 100 financial, technology, enterprise, hyperscale, and colocation companies up and running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We work on innovative, award-winning, large-scale projects. We travel to construction sites to see our designs being built. As part of WSP, we are able to offer our employees increased professional development and career opportunities in addition to kW MCE’s office culture which is consistently recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work.” Join our great people at our great places designing great projects.
What You’ll Do:
As a Fire Protection Engineer, you will design fire suppression and fire alarm systems based on codes, jurisdictional amendments, and client preferences. You will engage in coordination with other engineers and architects, respond to client and code official comments, and quickly react to building and site changes. In addition, you will mentor and lead junior engineers on projects, technical assignments and assist in their overall skill development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop automatic fire sprinkler systems, fire detection, and alarm systems
- Design and review systems, smoke management systems, and egress systemsfeasibility
- Review fire and safety drawings for compliance to ensure meeting safety code requirements
- Produce project specifications for CSI Divisions 21 for Fire Suppression & 28 sections related to Fire Detection and Alarm
- Prepare information for proposal documents, specifications, and reporting
- Create models, analyze technical issues, devise solutions
- Lead tasks for technical assignments on projects
- Review shop drawings, product data, and calculations against contract documents and codes
- Conduct commissioning activities for code compliance
- Provide design team and client with insight on life safety considerations
- Participate in project and client meetings
- Attend team and/or project meetings and interface with internal specialty groups, project teams and clients.
- Design and review of visually compelling deliverables
- Keep up-to-date on technical knowledge of current and emerging practices
Who You Are:
The ideal candidate has familiarity with Building Information Modeling using Revit, has strong communication skills, and as interest in liaising with internal and external design, client, and construction team members. Candidates should have an interest in leading and mentoring junior engineers.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 10+ years of experience in designing fire protection systems for commercial, industrial or mission critical/data center buildings
- Experience mentoring and training others in the field.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of fire protection, mechanical and building codes
- Ability to interact well with others as well as develop and contribute to high quality technical and professional deliverables on projects and proposals
- Strong working knowledge of mechanical systems and codes
- Attention to detail, highly organized, self-starter
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
- Mission Critical/Data Center experience
- Experience with international projects