PHOENIX: 40 E Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe AZ 85281 Office
Senior Building Automation and Controls Designer
Who We Are:
Great people. Great places. Great projects. kW Mission Critical Engineering, a WSP company, is a high-performance, fast-paced consulting engineering firm designing data centers and mission critical environments across the globe. We hire smart, responsive, team players to work in collaborative and mentoring office settings. Our mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, controls, telecommunications, and security building system designs keep many of the world’s top Fortune 100 financial, technology, enterprise, hyperscale, and colocation companies up and running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We work on innovative, award-winning, large-scale projects. We travel to construction sites to see our designs being built. As part of WSP, we are able to offer our employees increased professional development and career opportunities in addition to kW MCE’s office culture which is consistently recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work.” Join our great people at our great places designing great projects.
What You’ll Do:
As a Senior Building Automation Controls Engineer with us, you will design automation control and monitoring systems serving data centers. Applications include heat rejection systems such as industrial air handling units and chilled water plants as well as integration to intelligent HVAC and electrical power monitoring systems (EPMS). Design activities include drawing and specification development for control products, points lists and Sequence of Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce high quality technical and professional deliverables for projects and proposals
- Apply deep knowledge of engineering techniques across multiple technical functions.
- Design automatic building automation controls systems and specifications for large air distribution and heat rejection systems
- Utilize advanced analytical and design techniques to solve technical problems
- Exemplify well developed advanced experience in controls, monitoring and mechanical discipline
- Lead the development of initial controls and monitoring system concepts
- Present complex technical solutions to clients
- Manage and coordinate project teams and projects
- Develop work plans to address technical issues within project time and budget
- Work within multi-discipline project teams to develop drawing and specification documents for issuance to architects, contractors and building owners.
- Lead client meetings and provide significant contributions to the dicussion
- Manage and/or mentor junior staff
- Collaboration and coordinate with internal project discipline team members, equipment vendors and manufacturers
- Perform project management activities including writing proposals, establishing budgets and managing client interactions.
- Coordinates activities concerned with technical development, scheduling, and resolving engineering design issues.
- Coordinates the activities of technical staff from project award through project completion.
- Survey and evaluation of existing conditions.
- Performance of construction administration.
- Develop client relationships
- Participate in local professional organization (attend meetings/lectures), i.e., poster sessions, participate in conference panel
Who You Are:
The ideal candidate will possess experience with HVAC or process control applications from a controls systems vendor, commissioning agent, or design consultant. Candidates should have strong communication skills, and an interest in liaising with internal and external design, client and construction team members. Candidates should have previous experience leading a team and/or mentoring junior engineers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in designing control systems for the high performing, commercial, industrial or mission critical/data center buildings
- Experience mentoring and training others in field
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact well with others as well as develop and contribute to high quality technical and professional deliverables on projects and proposals
- Strong working knowledge of mechanical systems and codes
- Attention to detail, highly organized, self-starter
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
- Mission Critical/Data Center experience
- Experience with international projects