Perform power studies which ensure electrical systems are safe in conjunction with meeting clients’ mission critical reliability and operational demands.
- Perform preliminary short circuit calculations to validate equipment ratings during design.
- Build power system models which accurately reflect designed and constructed systems.
- Perform medium- and low-voltage coordination studies to develop optimum protective relay and breaker settings balancing safety and operational reliability.
- Evaluate submitted equipment for capability to withstand available fault current at points throughout the distribution system.
- Perform arc flash studies in compliance with NFPA and industry standards.
- Generate short circuit, coordination, and arc flash study reports, along with arc flash labels.
- Perform reliability studies in accordance with IEEE Gold Book standards and industry practices.
- Lead junior staff, supervise, train, and mentor.
- Coordinate with internal design leads and clients to obtain required information, discuss options, and develop solutions.
- Educate clients on the importance of breaker coordination and arc flash.
- Perform QA/QC on calculations and studies performed by others.
- Refine and maintain standards for power studies and reports across offices.
- Assist project management with scheduling, scope development, and proposal development
- Strategically contribute to overall firm goals
- Be a kW MCE culture advocate
- Be an industry thought leader and role model
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years electrical power studies experience
- Technical leadership and strong background in electrical studies
- Knowledge of building codes, NFPA 70 & 70E, and IEEE 1584
- P.E. preferred or in-process for licensing
- Significant experience with SKM PowerTools is a requirement. Experience with other power studies tools (EasyPower, ETAP, etc.) is a plus.
- Significant protective relaying design experience is a plus
- Experience with ReliaSoft BlockSim is a plus
- Strategic thinking, suggesting, and implementing improvements
- Big picture mindset, able to see full project mission, not just your discipline
- Ability to listen to client needs, engage with design team members, and drive project beyond expectations
- Be responsive. Stay committed. Work with integrity.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365
kW MCE is great people working at a great place delivering mission critical engineering excellence on great projects. Our leadership truly believes in work/life balance. kW MCE consistently compensates higher than industry average and offers generous paid time off, flextime opportunities, comfortable workstations with the latest technology, as well as office outings and family events to build a better team.
- Bonus opportunities
- Medical, dental, group life, and disability insurances
- Employer contributed 401(k) Plan
Tim Campbell, PE