ATLANTA: 115 Perimeter Center Pl, Atlanta GA 30346 Office
Power Studies Engineer
Who We Are:
Great people. Great places. Great projects. kW Mission Critical Engineering, a WSP company, is a high-performance, fast-paced consulting engineering firm designing data centers and mission critical environments across the globe. We hire smart, responsive, team players to work in collaborative and mentoring office settings. Our mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, controls, telecommunications, and security building system designs keep many of the world’s top Fortune 100 financial, technology, enterprise, hyperscale, and colocation companies up and running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We work on innovative, award-winning, large-scale projects. We travel to construction sites to see our designs being built. As part of WSP, we are able to offer our employees increased professional development and career opportunities in addition to kW MCE’s office culture which is consistently recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work.” Join our great people at our great places designing great projects.
What You’ll Do:
As a Power Studies Engineer with us, you will analyze complex power and other building systems including generator plants, medium voltage distribution, uninterruptible power systems. Selectively coordinate medium voltage relays and low voltage circuit breakers and perform arc flash analysis. Compile data into final report for project leads.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform preliminary short circuit calculations to validate equipment ratings during design.
- Build power system models which accurately reflect designed and constructed systems.
- Perform medium and low-voltage coordination studies to develop optimum protective relay and breaker settings balancing safety and operational reliability.
- Evaluate submitted equipment for capability to withstand available fault current at points throughout the distribution system.
- Perform arc flash studies in compliance with NFPA and industry standards.
- Generate short circuit, coordination, and arc flash study reports, along with arc flash labels.
- Perform reliability studies in accordance with IEEE Gold Book standards and industry practices.
- Lead junior staff, supervise, train, and mentor.
- Coordinate with internal design leads and clients to obtain required information, discuss options and develop solutions.
- Educate clients on the importance of breaker coordination and arc flash.
- Perform QA/QC on calculations and studies performed by others.
- Refine and maintain standards for power studies and reports across offices.
- Assist project management with scheduling, scope development, and proposal development
- Strategically contribute to overall firm goals
Who You Are:
The ideal candidate is interested in power studies production work to support projects and has a background in physics or engineering as well as experience in building design or power studies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 3+ years electrical power studies experience
- Technical leadership and strong background in electrical studies
- Knowledge of building codes, NFPA 70 & 70E, and IEEE 1584
- Experience with SKM PowerTools
- Strategic thinking, suggesting, and implementing improvements
- Ability to listen to client needs, engage with design team members, and drive project beyond expectations
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate
- Protective relaying design experience
- Experience with ReliaSoft BlockSim
- Large scale facilities or Mission Critical/Data Center experience
- Experience with other power studies tools (SKM, ETAP, etc)