ATLANTA: 115 Perimeter Center Pl, Atlanta GA 30346 Office
Mechanical Engineer (Intern)
Who We Are:
Keep the internet running and the world working!
At kW Mission Critical Engineering, a part of WSP USA, that’s exactly what we do.
Simply, data centers are buildings that store information technology. These mission critical facilities must remain operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Your role is to design the building infrastructure—power and cooling systems—to make sure that happens.
Be a part of an engineering team where from day one, you will collaborate and add value to every project. Gain invaluable experience early in your career. Not only will you be designing building systems, you’ll interact with all internal mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and information & communication technology (ICT) engineers, external design partners like architects and structural engineers, and equipment vendors for the development of drawings and specifications. Then, travel to project locations during construction and watch your designs being built for some of the largest companies in the world.
Do you want to work on innovative, award-winning projects, travel and see your designs being built, and enjoy an occasional game of ping-pong, lunch and learn, or after-hours’ camaraderie? Are you looking for career growth? Join our great people at our great places designing great projects.
What You’ll Do:
As a Mechanical Engineer Intern with us, you will design HVAC cooling systems including air distribution systems, chiller plants, and alternative energy solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the guidance from senior engineers to perform a variety of assignments requiring the application of standard engineering and design techniques
- Work with multi-discipline project teams to develop drawing and specification documents for issuance to architects, contractors and building owners.
- Attend client meetings
- Collaborate and coordinate with internal project discipline team members, equipment vendors and manufacturers.
- Design and draft air distributions systems and hydronic systems using AutoDesk’s Revit platform
- Prepare cooling/heating load calculations and conduct psychrometric evaluations
- Evaluate energy efficient heating and cooling systems
- Select and schedule major equipment based on load calculations
- Perform Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) evaluations for existing and new facilities, both internal and external
- Perform construction administration tasks with oversight from experienced staff
- Survey and evaluate existing conditions with oversight from experienced staff
Who You Are:
The ideal candidate is motivated, proactive, and excited to learn. Shows a strong interest in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, communicating and collaborating with internal and external design, client and construction team members, and a desire to travel.
- Current standing as a Sophomore, Junior, Senior or Graduate student actively enrolled in an accredited Architectural Engineering or Mechanical Engineering, or related, Undergraduate or Graduate program.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork, and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Interest in innovative design for high performing data centers and mission critical facilities
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and/or Revit
- Previous building design or construction internship experience