ATLANTA: 115 Perimeter Center Pl, Atlanta GA 30346 Office
Fire Protection Engineer (Early Career)
Who We Are:
Keep the internet running and the world working!
At kW Mission Critical Engineering, a part of WSP USA, that’s exactly what we do.
Simply, data centers are buildings that store information technology. These mission critical facilities must remain operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Your role is to design the building infrastructure— fire suppression and fire alarm systems —to make sure that happens.
Be a part of an engineering team where from day one, you will collaborate and add value to every project. Gain invaluable experience early in your career. Not only will you be designing building systems, you’ll interact with all internal mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and telecommunication engineers, external design partners like architects and structural engineers, and equipment vendors for the development of drawings and specifications. Then, travel to project locations during construction and watch your designs being built for some of the largest companies in the world.
Do you want to work on innovative, award-winning projects, travel and see your designs being built, and enjoy an occasional game of ping-pong, lunch and learn, or after-hours’ camaraderie? Are you looking for career growth? Join our great people at our great places designing great projects.
What You’ll Do:
As a Fire Protection Engineer, you will design fire suppression and fire alarm systems based on codes, jurisdictional amendments, and client preferences. You will engage in coordination with other engineers and architects, respond to client and code official comments, and quickly react to building and site changes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the development of automatic fire sprinkler systems, fire detection, and alarm systems
- Assist in the development of voice evacuation systems, smoke management systems, and egress systems
- Perform hydraulic and air-sampling smoke detection calculations with experienced members of the team to ensure design feasibility
- Review fire and safety drawings for compliance to ensure meeting safety code requirements
- Review project specifications for CSI Divisions 21 for Fire Suppression & 28 sections related to Fire Detection and Alarm
- Assist in the preparation of information for proposal documents, specifications, and reporting
- Create models, analyze technical issues, devise solutions with oversight from senior staff
- Work with senior engineers to determine code compliance
- Attend project and client meetings
- Interface with internal specialty groups, project teams and clients
- Produce and review visually compelling deliverables
- Keep up-to-date on technical knowledge of current and emerging practices
Who You Are:
The ideal candidate has familiarity with Building Information Modeling using Revit, has strong communication skills, and as interest in liaising with internal and external design, client, and construction team members.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with applicable software packages including AutoCAD, Revit
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to organize and present design information to project staff
- Attention to detail, highly organized, self-starter
- Ability to travel to project sites
Bachelor’s degree in Fire Protection or equivalent