PHOENIX: 40 E Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe AZ 85281 Office
Electrical Engineer (Intern)
Who We Are:
Keep the internet running and the world working!
At kW Mission Critical Engineering, a part of WSP USA, that’s exactly what we do.
Simply, data centers are buildings that store information technology. These mission critical facilities must remain operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Your role is to design the building infrastructure—power and cooling systems—to make sure that happens.
Be a part of an engineering team where from day one, you will collaborate and add value to every project. Gain invaluable experience early in your career. Not only will you be designing building systems, you’ll interact with all internal mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and information & communication technology (ICT) engineers, external design partners like architects and structural engineers, and equipment vendors for the development of drawings and specifications. Then, travel to project locations during construction and watch your designs being built for some of the largest companies in the world.
Do you want to work on innovative, award-winning projects, travel and see your designs being built, and enjoy an occasional game of ping-pong, lunch and learn, or after-hours’ camaraderie? Are you looking for career growth? Join our great people at our great places designing great projects.
What You’ll Do:
As an Electrical Engineering Intern with us, you will analyze complex power and other building systems including generator plants, medium voltage distribution, uninterruptibe power systems, lighting, fire alarm, and grounding.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform a variety of assignments requiring the application of standard engineering and design techniques under the direction and guidance of senior engineers
- Work with multi-discipline project teams to develop drawing and specification documents for issuance to architects, contractors and building owners.
- Attend client meetings
- Collaborate and coordinate with internal project discipline team members and equipment vendors and manufacturers
- Design electrical systems for buildings including lighting, receptable, general, essential and critical electrical infrastructure
- Select and schedule equipment
- Prepare calculations and specifications
- Understand short circuit, coordination, and arc flash calculations
- Perform construction administration tasks with assistance from senior staff
- Work alongside senior engineers to survey and evaluate existing worksite conditions
- Current standing as a Sophomore, Junior, Senior or Graduate student actively enrolled in an accredited Electrical Engineering, or related, Undergraduate or Graduate program
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork, and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Interest in innovative design for high performing data centers and mission critical facilities
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and/or Revit
- Previous building design or construction internship experience