TROY: 433 River St, Troy NY 12180 Office
Building Automation and Controls Designer
Who We Are:
Great people. Great places. Great projects. kW Mission Critical Engineering, a WSP company, is a high-performance, fast-paced consulting engineering firm designing data centers and mission critical environments across the globe. We hire smart, responsive, team players to work in collaborative and mentoring office settings. Our mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, controls, information & communication technology (ICT), and security building system designs keep many of the world’s top Fortune 100 financial, technology, enterprise, hyperscale, and colocation companies up and running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We work on innovative, award-winning, large-scale projects. We travel to construction sites to see our designs being built. As part of WSP, we are able to offer our employees increased professional development and career opportunities in addition to kW MCE’s office culture which is consistently recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work.” Join our great people at our great places designing great projects.
What You’ll Do:
As a Building Automation Controls Engineer with us, you will work with senior engineers to design automation control and monitoring systems serving data centers. Applications include heat rejection systems such as industrial air handling units and chilled water plants as well as integration to intelligent HVAC and electrical power monitoring systems (EPMS). Design activities include drawing and specification development for control products, points lists and Sequence of Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in a team or independently, planning and executing engineering tasks within projects
- Demonstrate significant understanding of the range of services provided by the kW MCE engineering teams & related practices
- Independently, under general supervision, support the team during proposal design, and construction stages of projects
- Execute controls design of complex projects
- Work within multi-discipline project teams to develop drawing and specification documents for issuance to architects, contractors and building owners.
- Attend client meetings and contribute to discussions
- Collaborate and coordinate with internal project discipline team members and external equipment vendors and manufacturers
- Communicate complex control and monitoring concepts and decisions to clients and stakeholders
- Integrate complex mechanical & electrical engineering requirements into larger facility controls and monitoring designs
- Interact regularly with clients, which includes maintaining current relationships and developing new relationships
- Perform all aspects of controls designs, review systems, and drawings prior to issuance
- Survey and evaluate existing conditions
- Perform construction administration tasks
Who You Are:
The ideal candidate will possess experience with HVAC or process control applications from a controls systems vendor, commissioning agent, or design consultant. Candidates should have strong communication skills, and an interest in liaising with internal and external design, client and construction team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 3+ years of experience in designing control systems for the high performing, commercial, industrial or mission critical/data center buildings
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with applicable software packages including AutoCAD, Revit
- Knowledge of building, mechanical, electrical and energy codes
- Ability to organize and present design information to project staff
- Attention to detail, highly organized, self-starter
- Ability to travel to project sites
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or Computer Engineering
- EIT or Registered Professional Engineer (PE), if applicable
- Mission Critical/Data Center experience highly preferred
- Experience with international projects